Martha Stewart's Tiny Cherry and Almond Tea Cakes (#8)




The is the eighth cupcake in my self-challenge to make all of the cupcakes from Martha Stewart's 175 Cupcakes book...and so far, so good. These little cupcakes were extremely easy to make...although I do find myself chatting with Martha in my mind as I'm going through the recipes!


Luckily Layla is usually around to help me through it (lol)!


The hardest thing was pitting the cherries...yet, it was so worthwhile. I didn't think that anyone would want to have to be careful about eating these little mouthfuls...one bite and they disappear!


In these photos you get a feel for the bubbly cherry juice that popped up out of the cupcake. The almond flavor is very subtle.


I think they look adorable!

Rock on....CQ


Martha Stewart says: "Each of these charming tea cakes is baked with a whole cherry inside -- stem, pit, and all. Be sure to warn guests about the pits, or remove the stems and pits before baking."

Ingredients
Makes 30
  • 1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, plus more for muffin tin
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for tin
  • 1 1/4 cups finely ground unblanched almonds
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 5 large egg whites
  • 4 teaspoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
  • 30 sweet (Bing) cherries


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush 30 cups of 2 mini-muffin tins with butter, and dust lightly with flour.
  2. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When it begins to sputter, reduce heat to medium. Cook, swirling skillet occasionally, until butter has lightly browned. Skim foam from top, and remove skillet from heat.
  3. Whisk together flour, ground almonds, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add egg whites, and whisk until smooth. Stir in kirsch. Pour in butter, leaving any dark-brown sediment in skillet, and whisk to combine. Let stand for 20 minutes.
  4. Ladle 1 tablespoon batter into each buttered muffin cup, filling about halfway. Push a cherry into each, keeping stem end up. With a small spoon, smooth batter over cherries to cover. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean and cakes are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen, and unmold. Cakes can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature overnight.

6 comments:

  1. They sure look good. Must try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look amazing
    dallas
    http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting! I was looking through the book the other day and it is very impressive... but your attempt to bake all the cupcakes is even more impressive!

    http://MinasCupcakeArt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these too and they were a hit!! I bought the cherries from the vendors next to me at the farmer's market so they had the real Fraser Valley feel to them when I took them there. I blogged about these as well! What a great project you are doing! My sister is blogging her way through the Baked cookbook. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these cupcakes! They'd be AWESOME for a nice, simple, summer wedding! So have to tweet about this :)

    ReplyDelete