Yearning for Spring = Creamsicle Cupcakes With Fluff Frosting



Over the weekend, a jingle of the ice cream vendor's truck made me want to enjoy a little Spring right now...even tho the temp was 48 degrees and overcast...and reminded me of what I always got: a Creamsicle! Then...the question was could I create a creamsicle cupcake?




I just happened to have a Duncan Hines orange cake mix...oh boy!...and vanilla pudding...another oh boy!...and Marshmallow Fluff! All this was too much heaven....



BTW: did you know that the popsicle was invented by 11-year-old Frank Epperson in 1905. Epperson (1894-1983) lived in San Francisco, California. He had left a fruit drink out overnight (with a stirrer in it), and it froze, making a new treat. His frozen treat was originally called the Epsicle. Epperson got a patent on his "frozen ice on a stick" many years later, in 1923. The Epsicle was later renamed the popsicle. Epperson also invented the twin popsicle (with two sticks so it could be shared by two children), Fudgsicle, Creamsicle and Dreamsicle.



Layla...who doesn't eat popsicles...but does really enjoy Frosty Paws...definitely was interested in these cupcakes...but isn't she always??

One question....what song does your ice cream truck play as it winds its way around the neighborhood?

Here's the recipe for a little early Spring:

1 box Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix
1 box Jello Vanilla Pudding (not instant)

Follow directions on box and add in the box of vanilla pudding
Follow rest of box instructions.

Fluff 7-Minute Frosting

1 c. Marshmallow Fluff
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In double-boiler top over hot, not boiling water, combine all ingredients except vanilla. With hand mixer, beat until soft peaks form. Remove from heat and continue beating until stiff. Beat in vanilla. Makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes.

Have a GREAT week!

And remember to Rock On, CQ

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:50 PM

    I don't know if our ice cream guy plays a song as much as it's a jangle of notes, on a frequency esp. created for young ears.

    Glad to see that I'm not the only one jonesing for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this recipe... I will definitely be looking for the orange cake mix to make this today when I go out! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the entertainer! That's what they play! And man, does it ever get stuck in my head...

    Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:59 AM

    did you make the vanilla pudding and then add to cake mix OR just add in the powder mix for the vanilla pudding? Sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. golightly...you don't have to make the pudding...just dump it in with all the other ingredients! Make sure not to use instant pudding.

    CQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think that frosting is stiff enough to work at a filling in a layer cake? I wanna make a chocolate cake with marshmallow filling, but I know some marshmallow frostings are very soft. Would you mind e-mailing me the answer? Thanks :)

    howtoeatacupcake@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really cool:), I especially like the polkadot look! these remind me of my childhood :D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:15 AM

    I was reading your recipe when my heart stopped and saw the picture of your dog. Is she an american bulldog? I just put my poor aabg down and seeing her - well she beautiful enjoy her and thanks for the recipe - it must have been fate that brought me to it - thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool, those are perfect for my nephew:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:04 PM

    I find myself drifting on to your blog often - love your cupcake post but, luv seeing pic of your ABD too. Keep the recipes and pic's coming just adore the look on Layla's face looking at the cupcakes..Classic

    ReplyDelete