White Mountain Chocolate Cupcakes...and One Turtle!



Inspiration smacked me right in the face...not once but three times...to get me to make these cute cupcakes from Elinor Klivans' cupcakes! book: her photograph of the cupcakes she'd made, the thought of chocolate and sour cream together, and, finally, the challenge of making Seven-Minute Frosting! As if that weren't enough...I got inspired about what to put them in. So, I rummaged around for the little flower pots that I just knew I'd seen somewhere on some shelf in my house somewhere! I managed to find 5 of them. Ok. That was a start. Then I remembered that I had those pink mini-cups...made out of paper. I ended up with 20 of those guys. Then what? I found 1 of the smallest little flower pots...smaller than the rest... and used that, too.


The Seven-Minute Frosting (SMF) turned out to be pretty easy, but it really takes SEVEN minutes to beat it up! I was beginning to doubt that it was going to "happen"...I checked the timer and it said that 6:34 minutes had gone by and it was still not as thick as I thought it should be. But, in the last thirty seconds it all firmed up. Then I added the vanilla and almond, whipped it a little bit more and there it was....nice and puffy AND thick!

Layla really wanted a bit of these...she was stuck to my side the entire time I was baking. She's really amazing...she stays completely focused on the task of first making the cupcakes and then making the frosting and then putting the frosting on and then taking the photos. She's extremely patient and doesn't carry a grudge because she can't eat chocolate! Ok. I did give her some of the fluffy meringue-like frosting!



Surcie made me go to Target and spend more money on this Turtle...just kidding....she knows that I love the the TERPS...and, I only needed a little push to head over to Tar-shay as we like to call it.

These were a big hit at the office...the turtle is made of individual cupcakes. You can buy it in the baking section of Target!

Rock On!

CQ

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:03 AM

    That little flower pot is just too darn cute, and those cupcakes look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the little flower pots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 7-minute frosting cupcakes...They look like Dr. Seuss characters! I've been hanging around here for about a year now, Cupcake Queen, and finally am posting. My husband's a Terp, so I'm going to make the fearsome cupcake turtle for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:14 PM

    The terpcakes turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes...surcie made me go to target...i loved it! and, i bought my turtle cupcake maker there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:14 AM

    You know, in that first photo the flower pot looks like it's made of chocolate. What a wonder that would be! CQ, we should figure out how to make this sweet dream a reality. You know, for research.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cupcakes. They look like this lemon meringue pie recipe I posted a while ago. And Layla is cute as ever!

    ReplyDelete