Painting the Amy Sedaris Tattletail's Vanilla Cupcakes!


Somehow those little guys got out of the box last night and I found them this morning adding another color to the Amy Sedaris "Tattletail's Vanilla Cupcakes" I'd made earlier in the day. They are from her book I Like You....it's so funny. I also made her "Tattletail's Vanilla Buttercream Frosting" to go along with them and frosted some white and some lilac. When I woke up I found the painters at work adding a spot of green...hmmmmm...the must have had some left over paint from their last job!

I don't know if you have her book or not, but it is really hysterical...I received it for Christmas from my good friend, Meg, who loves to try out new things and is into knitting beautiful scraves. I have never read a recipe written the way Amy wrote hers. It's a bit of a guessing game, but as she says "I like to take chances." Me, too!

The cupcakes were a huge success! They are a little bit crunchy around the top edges and the rest of the cupcake is moist and dense, as opposed to some others I've made that are very light. These cupcakes have authority! They practically scream VANILLA! VANILLA! Next time I'm going to try them with her Dusty's Chocolate Buttercream Frosting....maybe I won't be able to wait until next week to do it!



I found these little pots at Ikea yesterday and thought they would make cute cupcakes...I sprayed the inside with PAM w/ flour before I put the batter in and they fell right out when it was time to pop one in....your mouth...that is! The frosting was, again, a pretty funny recipe. Pour everything in a whip it up. It tastes divine!

I can see why Amy's cupcakes were voted second in New York City by New York Magazine...they are delish! More photos are on my flickr place: photos by the cupcakequeen.

Here are the recipes for both the vanilla cupcakes and vanilla buttercream frosting as quoted from her book:

Tattletail's Vanilla Cupcakes

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. You will need: Unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, baking powder, salt, flour, milk.

Put 1-1/2 sticks of butter in mixer and beat at medium speed until somewhat smooth. Pour in 1-1/2 cups of sugar and beat well. Add 2 eggs. I like to crack the eggs on the side of the bowl while it is moving, which can be really stupid. I like to take chances. Yes, I have had to throw away my batter because I lost eggshells in the mix. Yes, it was a waste of food and yes, I know how expensive butter is, but what can I say? I'm a daredevil. Mix well. Add: 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla, 2-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 21/2 cups of flour, and 1-1/4 cups of milk. Beat until it looks like it is supposed to and pour into individual baking cups, until they are about two-thirds full. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Should produce 24 cupcakes; I get 18 because I'm doing something wrong, although my cupcakes were voted second best in the city by New York magazine.

Tattletail's Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

In a bowl, combine 1 box (1 pound) of confectioners' sugar, 1 stick of unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup of milk or light cream and beat for a while. Really whip it, don't be afraid to get in there. I occasionally add food coloring and sometimes substitute pure almond extract for vanilla.

If you do choose to add pure almond extract instead of vanilla, you're on your own. I don't know the measurement for it, but I do know it's less than the amount of vanilla you would add.




Hope you enjoy them!

CQ

17 comments:

  1. Those look pretty!!

    I keep hearing about her book, but I'll always remember her as Deb from Elf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:15 PM

    I have yet to make a recipe from Amy's book, but I love it!

    CQ, have you been to Target lately? At my local store, they're all stocked up for Easter/Spring. I saw cupcake molds, a green silicone TURTLE cupcake baking "pan", cute little cupcake boxes AND rainboots that are covered in cupcakes. (It's raining cupcakes!) You can see 'em at Target.com in lavendar or pink.

    I don't work for Target, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:40 AM

    What a fun idea with the painters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surcie:

    I've been trying to stay away from the Target....every time I go there I spend at least $100! But now I just may have to go get that turtle cake pan...you know how much I love the Terps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look fab, the colour combination it perfect and really pops off the page. I request I have someone trying to get the recipe for the Hi-Top Cupcakes you did back in Week 9! the link I gave them doesn't work and I can't seem to even find them myself. I did print a copy for myself, do you mind if I post it on my blog with credit to yourself and Elinor or can you give me a link that works. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. cupccaketastic: I just saw your wedding cake! Amazing. It's so beautiful!

    I had to move to a new hosting company so the recipe pdfs were down for a week or two....
    Here is the link to the hitop cupcakes:
    http://www.accordingtolayla.com/pdfs/hitopcupcakes.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you, thank you - your Majesty. I know there are many cupcake and flickr obsessed people out there who will be truely greatfull.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surcie:

    Okay. I did it. I bought the Target Turtle this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:04 PM

    Where in the world did you get those painters. Precious decorating idea. Can you share? I'd love to do something similar for the women's conference at my church next month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little painters & ladders are too adorable! And so are the cupcakes. I have Amy's book but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I gotta speed up my reading now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd also love to know where you got the painters, its such an adorable idea! I love the sweet design, makes me hungry for a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:26 PM

    I'm glad you found the turtle, and I eagerly anticipate the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:53 PM

    I love your blog and I LOVE cupcakes! Thanks for all the great recipes...keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:04 AM

    I made this recipe and it was very, very good. The texture of the cupcake was outstanding, and the flavor was perfect. I did add a little extra step. I simmered my milk with a vanilla bean to add another PUNCH of extra flavor. These cupcakes were adored by all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh man, you saved me! i had to leave my I Like You book back home. thank you for saving me!

    ReplyDelete