Happy Virtual Birthday: Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting

Two birthdays on March 16 inspired these cupcakes...my nephew... Chris... and John's girl friend... Kate... they don't know each other... but they both know me! Chris lives in Pittsburgh and Kate lives in Washington, DC. Kate actually got to eat some of these... unfortunately, Chris did not...sad face...but Chris did get a TMX Elmo from the Cupcake Queen and her peeps.









These babies ... from a recipe in 125 Best Cupcake Recipes, by Julie Hasson... do taste like brownies...same chew-ee-ness and everything. I knew they were going to be chocolate--ee, so I made lots of mini cupcakes and ony 6 regular sized ones for the guys. The girls loved the mini ones...just byte-sized! I frosted mine with her Chocolate Fudge Frosting and Billy's Vanilla Vanilla Frosting. I find that some peope love the chocolate/chocolate cupcake and some love the chocolate/vanilla cupcake. I prefer the chocolate/vanilla one most times.

Hasson says of this recipe: "How could I have a cupcake book without a brownie-inspired recipe in it? I couldn't, so here's a deliciously chewy and chocolaty cupcake that I am very pleased with. They'll disappear off the cooling rack faster than you can say, "Chocolate brownies." And, she was right!


Can you see who is in the shadow yearning for a cupcake? She didn't get a cupcake this time...no chocolate for doggies...but she did get to have a tiny taste of the vanilla frosting. She's such a good doggie!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:42 PM

    I'm a lurker but have to know where you bought the cupcake candles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:38 AM

    I am seriously considering filing a complaint with the cupcake commissioner. I am sure John's girlfriend Kate really enjoyed those cupcakes on HER birthday. Give me (and Elmo) a Break.
    Love,
    YOUR NEPHEW Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound wonderful...maybe I shall make them.
    http://pixelgirlshop.com/item.php?item_id=1004&category_id=95
    I bet if you got that as a birthday gift, you'd flip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lurker: the cupcake candele holders are from Crate and Barrel. Here's the link:
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=752&f=23846&q=cupcakes&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Nephew Chris:

    You are very funny...come visit and I'll make you 2 dozen!

    Your loving aunt, CQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela: Thanks for that link. The bracelet was so cute I'm tempted to buy it. We do love the jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:08 PM

    Brownie cupcakes--what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:09 PM

    PS: What did you think of the Wilton class? I had been thinking of taking one at AC Moore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:51 PM

    Thanks for the link! I have to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An entire blog dedicated to cupcakedom... Who knew?

    Michele sent me to sample these yummy treats.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  11. You take the best cupcake pictures I've ever seen: such great lighting and texture.

    I'm sure they taste sinfully good.

    pHappy sigh!]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, can you tell me how you frosted the cupcakes - one with chocolate frosting? My frosting technique is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:21 PM

    Dear Cupcake Queen,
    Everyone here at Goetze's Candy Co., Inc., makers of Caramel Creams and Cow Tales, loved your idea on the Cow Tales cupcakes. In appreciation we would love to send you a sampling of our products. Please email me at meghanb@goetzecandy.com or phone 410-342-2010. Happy Baking!
    Meghan Brody
    Marketing Director

    ReplyDelete