Billy's Bakery Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Tuesday Update:
Thought you might like to read this email from I received from Billy's Bakery today:
"Thanks for writing. It's wonderful to hear that you had such a success with the cupcake recipes. I just checked out your blog and see that you found the recipe for chocolate cupcakes- that's great! It was wonderful to see us featured on your fantastic blog, it seems to be very popular. Thanks again, you've made our day!"

WOW!

Since I had such great luck with Billy's Bakery Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes, I decided to see if I could find a chocolate recipe by Billy Reece (the owner of Billy's Bakery)....and I did find one. I was so excited! He was on NBC's Today Show on October 18th for National Chocolate Cupcake Day...hmmmm...I never got that email. I'm surprising someone tomorrow morning with a dozen of these puppies...her name is Karen...she's been my physical therapist for the operation I had on my hand in late February. I "graduated" last week. She is awesome and loves cupcakes...Say Hi to Karen!

Anyway, I was overjoyed to discover the recipe. And, once again, I used the giant Kitchen Aid mixer...hereafter referred to as KA...it was so much fun and much easier than my hand mixer...who care's about that old thing anymore?? The one problem I have had with KA is that what's known as the "pouring sheild" is MIA...I need to order one, because when I pour in flour or powered sugar, at first it tends to fly out of the machine! And, it's not a pretty picture, folks!

I also managed to get to the most awesome cake decorating store and bakery in Maryland...it's called Cakes Plus. Here is the url: http://www.cakesplus.com/. I know I've blogged about this place before, but it is definitely worth a visit. They have all kinds of supplies and are so happy to help you. And they have cake decorating classes...I am thinking of doing a cake decorating class at Michaels. Has anybody done one of these? Let me know what you think!

Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Cupcakes by Billy Reece
Yields 24 to 27 cupcakes

INGREDIENTS
• 2 sticks unsalted butter (8 ounces)
• 1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
• 1 cup light brown sugar (7-3/4 ounces)
• 4 large eggs (one at a time)
• 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
• 2 cups cake flour (9-1/4 ounces)
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Cream:
2 sticks unsalted butter (8 ounces)
1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
1 cup light brown sugar (7-3/4 ounces)
Add:
4 large eggs (one at a time)
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate (chocolate should be melted, then cooled for approximately 15 minutes before being added).
Add and alternate:
2 cups cake flour (9-1/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking soda
With:
1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Place cupcake paper into each cup of 2 muffin pans (each pan yielding 12 muffins). Then fill each cup with 1 leveled off scoop of an ice cream scooper.

Bake at 350 degrees in regular oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

Simple Chocolate Buttercream by Billy Reece
INGREDIENTS
• 4 sticks butter
• 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
• 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1/4 cup whole milk
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Cream (with hand or stand mixer):
4 sticks butter (16 ounces) until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes

Melt (in microwave or double boiler):
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate

Set aside and allow to cool for approximately 20 minutes. After chocolate has cooled, add it to the creamed butter and mix on low speed until just combined. Scrape sides of bowl then …

Add:
2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

On low speed of a hand or stand mixer, mix until fully incorporated; no confectioners' sugar should be visible. Mixture should be smooth and medium brown in color.

Do not refrigerate; use immediately or store in airtight container for up to 2 days.

Now, go make 'em!

23 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:01 PM

    Those look incredible! Could you tell me which tip you used to frost them?

    And thanks for the Cakes Plus info - can't wait to check them out.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:48 PM

    I just finished taking the three courses at Michael's and it was spectacular! It's led me to making cupcakes, which led me to your blog! Keep it up, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! I'll have to give these a try and the vanilla ones also. They look delish & you did a great job decorating them!

    I took all 3 wilton courses at Michaels last summer. If you want to learn the basics of cake decorating I highly recommend them. My instructor was GREAT! I'll cross my fingers for u that u get an instructor as knowledgable & helpful as the one I had.

    Let me know if/when u take the classes, I'd love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey-for the MIA pouring shield, you can try draping a clean dishtowel over the top of the mixer, so it completely covers all the edges of the bowl. (It looks like the mixer is in a little tent.) It might not work too well if you're trying to add while mixing, but if you've added with the mixer off and then throw on the towel and then flip it on, it contains most of the mess. Which should help until you get a new shield...cleaning up flour STINKS!
    *speaks with a voice of experience.*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi CQ- I thought of you this weekend because I went to a party where someone brought cupcakes from Sprinkles (Beverly Hills). While the cupcakes were beautiful they did not taste as good as they looked. But that's not what made me think of you! I know that you often send a box of yummy via mail. Well, Sprinkles used some sort of sticky fondant or frosting dots to adhere/immobilize their cupcakes to the box. I don't think this technique alone would travel well via mail but I think it would add a little peace of mind. Pretty nifty trick I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:57 PM

    Oh, dear... 1 pound of butter just for the frosting? This is a dangerous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Okay...this is scary...before I checked into your blog today, I made Billy's chocolate cupcakes with Billy's chocolate frosting. What are the chances? We must share a Billy's vibe or something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gigi: That's so cool! I think we are on the same wave length..what shall we make next? (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff:
    I agree...4 sticks...that's the most I have used in a frosting recipe! It was hard to forget even when I was eating one...even tho they tasted sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:32 PM

    hmmm...well, the farm down the street is in full swing with "pick your own strawberries" - do you have any suggestions for a good strawberry cupcake/frosting recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:59 PM

    Ah, CQ, you temptress. Chocolate in abundance and so pretty. You make these and then, like a 4-year-old after the ice cream truck leaves, wave them at us with a "Nyah, nyah. You gotta get your own." Didn't Eddie Murphy do a great bit on this? I digress. If you find one laying (lying?) around the kitchen (look near Layla), just help it find its way to me. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Cakes Plus. I even know a couple of ladies who work there!! (I probably told you that before) Didn't know they had a website, thanks for sharing!

    If you ever get near Annapolis, visit the Amish Market. Their baking section has the greatest selection of cupcake sprinkles and flavorings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:29 AM

    The last time I visited NYC was for a girls-only weekend with my sister. We literally planned a whole Saturday around visiting the Magnolia Bakery. I've never been to Billy's, but I know he's cupcake royalty. Now that my sis and I are talking about another NYC trip, I really want to visit his bakery, and I doubt I'll have to do any arm twisting. So cool that they emailed you and visited your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Hey there, Cupcake Queen! I'm a long timer lurker, first time poster. I live in your area - and probably very close to you given some of the places you shop (Wintergreen, Freshgo, etc) - and have to say I've heard mixed reviews about cake decorating classes at the local Michael's. What I would recommend is for you to look into taking intro cake decorating classes at the Little Bitts Shop in Wheaton. I've just taken the intro (8 week long) and advanced (6 weeks long) classes. I was a bit skeptical at first - you need to make a certian type of Crisco frosting and bake a cake for each class - but I had a great experience and learned so many great techniques. Bob, the owner/instructor, is extremely knowledgeable (as is Rose, another instructor and professional decorator)and the classes are very diverse (a mini United Nations!). Bob takes the summer off, but will be posting his fall class schedule August 1. Plus, you'll have a cake to bring into work every week. My coworkers *loved* it and I found they liked the Crisco based icing, too .. I'm a butter girl, myself. I think you'll like it - I did!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:03 PM

    Divine!
    Delectable!
    Utterly yummy!
    The uber cupcake!
    An exquisite chocolate sensation! Dare I say it ... orgasmic!!!!

    Thanks, WG, for a simply amazing treat! I think I need a cigarette ..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just not too long ago, I read a very negative feedback on this recipe and I was having my doubt in trying.

    After seeing these gorgeous, here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my these are a must try. I could eat them through the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous1:26 PM

    Whatever happened to the new website? Is it still going to exist?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5:53 PM

    Mine smelled like they were burning with 2 min left to cook...and when I tested one it was still goopey in the middle. I think I should have turned them half way through. I hope they aren't burned. The batter tasted like mousse! I just wanted to let you know that you can buy replacement parts for your KA ... check ebay. I got an extra bowl for mine really cheap. If you slow your mixer down and use a spoonula or small measuring cup to add the flour etc it will help. I lost mine years ago and never bothered replacing it.
    Ok. Well now I'm going to try to make the frosting and hopefully save these cupcakes. My husband just called and is on his way home. Thanks so much for your blog. It's beautiful and fun! wendy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9:42 AM

    I took cake decorating at Michaels in Columbia, MD and it was a lot of fun and the instructor is great. They are always having specials so it is pretty inexpensive to sign up for the class and buy the kit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for including both volume and weight measurements on this recipe. I am addicted to using my little digital scale for baking now that I've seen what a difference it makes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous11:00 PM

    Just wanted to let you know it makes laugh to see recipe with Billy's name on it. He never created a recipe in his life. Neither the vanilla or chocolate cupcake recipes are his own, and in fact, he doesn't even really know how to bake. All of the recipes made at the bakery were either taken from another source and modified by the kitchen staff (not Billy) or created by the kitchen staff (not Billy). The place is awesome, don't get me wrong. I just wanted to clarify things a bit because Billy always tried to take credit for things he didn't do, and it's just not right (or fair to those who really deserve the credit).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous4:36 AM

    I think I'm with you on that one, Anonymous. I've just compared the entire recipe to that of Magnolia's Chocolate Cupcakes, and they are exactly identical. I really don't know what to say, Magnolia being established first and all...

    ReplyDelete