Week 29: Malted Milk Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting

What could be better than malted milk and cupcakes? I love malts...and these cupcakes were sooooo easy to make, and really fun, too! It's a recipe from 125 Best Cupcake Recipes by Julie Hasson. The frosting is called "Chocolate Fudge," and it almost tastes like it! I added a malted milk ball to the top of each cupcake. And, since we had a birthday in our house today, I added the candle...


When I went to the Safeway early this morning to do my cupcake material shopping, I couldn't believe the crowded parking lot...not normal. It seemed pretty busy inside, too. Shortly I found out why...more than 50 people in line for flu shots...at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday morning. Unfortunately for the late-comers, there were only 50 doese of shots! But, some really funny things happened while I was there...Over the loudspeaker, someone announced...Nelly. Nelly. Tell the nurse she has a call from her SUPERVISOR right now! One can only imagine what that was about! The next announcement was made by a guy. He said: Ted, if you're here, call Dave on 149. If you're not here, don't call! Now, that was funny!

Recipes will appear (magically) if you click HERE.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:38 PM

    mmmm...I love it! I've always wanted to try malt cupcakes. I have looked everywhere for malt milk powder but have had no luck. Do you think Ovaltine Malted Milk Drink will be ok to substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I read this post before lunch and it made me really hungry! These look super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:06 PM

    And if you think they look delicious, you should taste one. Thick and chocolatey, as any good malt should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. found you via Jen Garrett - looking for an apprentice in your quest? mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:42 PM

    Your photos are always great, CQ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:48 PM

    Hello!
    today I stubled upon your page as I was hunting cupcake recipes... BRAVO! I love your entire concept! I will return each week to continue on your journey with you! By the way... the posting from this past Sunday 11/13 said the recipe for those cupcakes would magically appear the next day... it's Tuesday now... are you "withholding"???:) Anyway... BAKE ON!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. where's the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:19 PM

    The fudge recipe calls for chocolate cream liqueur...what's a good one to buy or what is a good substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay kids:
    The Malted Milk Cupcake recipe has been (magically. haha) posted:
    HERE.

    Sorry it took so long...my life got overtaken by my real job! I hate it when it encoaches on my baking life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. About the chocolate cream liqueur...I read somewhere that you can substitute 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of chocolate extract for 2 tablespoons of liqueur. I've never really looked for chocolate extract. I substituted the same amount of Starbuck's Coffee liqueur because I didn't have any of the chocolate. It worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a childhood favorite of mind I have completely forgotten, I will have to give this one a try as well. Delicious!!!!! Love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy for the tummy, I am going to make these!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:57 PM

    Loved the comments re the Safeway loudspeaker. Reminds me of a Jennifer Anniston movie -- think it's called the Good Girl. There are a few hilarious scenes where employees run amuck with the loudspeaker.
    Enjoy visiting your site -- keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:56 PM

    *swooning*

    ReplyDelete